Native Youth Wellness Corps
To partner with Native American communities across the State of New Mexico, to create and implement positive community based programs that promote: education, health & wellness, youth leadership, life skills, youth resiliency, nutrition and service learning.
In 2006, SYS began a partnership with the New Mexico Forum for Youth in Communities to receive its first AmeriCorps VISTA members. In the fall of 2009, SYS was awarded a 3-year contract as an AmeriCorps VISTA Sponsor Site in New Mexico, which created the Native Youth Wellness Corps Project (NYWC). NYWC Project focuses on pressing youth development needs in approximately 21 Native communities, to develop and increase the capacity of Native youth resiliency, health & wellness, and prevention support. The overall goal of NYWC is to provide positive youth development projects that will become sustainable programs within each partnering Native community.
Communities/Organizations Served Since 2009
SYS is grateful to the communities and organizations that have partnered and hosted AmeriCorps VISTA members.
- Pueblo of Jemez, Department of Education
- Pueblo of Santo Domingo
- Pueblo of San Felipe, Health & Wellness Department
- Pueblo of Laguna, Community Health & Wellness Department
- Pueblo of Isleta, Department of Education
- Native American Community Academy, Albuquerque, NM
- Coalition for Health & Resilient Youth, Gallup, NM
- Department of Health, Center for Rural & Community Behavioral Health, Albuquerque, NM
- Native Vision, Santo Domingo Pueblo, NM
- Thoreau Community Center, Thoreau, NM
- National Indian Youth Leadership Project, Gallup, NM
- New Mexico Department of Health, Office of School & Adolescent Health, Albuquerque, NM